Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Halloween Cookies

October 8, Wednesday

A couple weeks before Halloween, Sister Pugh and Sister Davis came over to help me make Halloween sugar cookies for my neighbors. I’m so glad they wanted to come, because I’d forgotten how much work it is to make sugar cookies. We ended up making about eight dozen I think; enough for five of my neighbors, one investigator, and a couple dozen for the sister to take home for their neighbors.
We had a lot of fun. Sister Pugh was very experience at making sugar cookies, so she did all the rolling and cutting once I made the dough. Sister Davis was next to her to place the cookies on the pans. Meanwhile I put the cookies in and took them out of the oven and made the frosting.
By the time the cookies were done baking we were all hungry, so I made lunch while the sisters frosted. Sister Pugh brought some candy corn to decorate our frosted cookies with. It was fun; the sisters were very creative with their frosting! When we were done frosting, we plated the cookies, put them in bags, and I tied a note to each of them that I’d prepared the day before. It wished them a “Happy Halloween,” told them our names, and on the back it told them about the “Meet the Mormons” movie that was coming out. We also attached a Mormon.org pass-along card.
Before going out to deliver the cookies we practiced a little Spanish, like how to wish a happy Halloween and explain that we were members/sister from the LDS church. Sister Davis played with Karl a bit while we were getting ready to head out.
We were pretty successful and found nearly everyone home; we had to use our Spanish at two of the houses and I think we did pretty well. We drove to see the investigator and shared a short message with her. From there, we and the sisters parted for home.
It was a long day of cookie making and sharing, but definitely a fun one!! I’m not certain how much will come of it, if any of my neighbors will go see the movie, but one thing I know for sure is that our neighbors know our names now and that we’re Mormons, and hopefully they know that we’re nice and want to be friends. I’m so thankful for the missionaries!! J

No comments: