Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pie Class Prep

Throughout June and July I did a few experiments, practiced a few things, and did a bit of research to get ready for a pie baking class I had volunteered myself to teach for part of our Super Summer RS activities. I had learned more about some fun things like nutrition, sewing, knitting, how to do chore charts, etc. My class wasn't until the last Tuesday of July, so the week before I did some last minute tests to make sure I knew everything I wanted to do so the class would go smoothly.
I used the mini pie pans Ryan had made so I could try out several things in one batch. So, with this batch, I tried out using gluten-free flour and practiced the different ways I knew how to flute the edges. I also refreshed my memory on how to use a pastry blender/knife and a stand mixer when making the dough. I also tested out the differences between a cream wash, egg wash, and plain water wash to see how they affecting the browning of the crust differently. The cream I liked the best for pie crusts, but egg did well too. Doing water was kind of pointless. It was a long, but fun night, making all those pies.
The double-crust pies I filled with canned strawberry filling. The single-crust pies I filled with a layer of chocolate and then homemade banana cream pie filling, especially to appeal to Ryan's taste so I knew he would help me eat them all.
The pies turned out good and I got a good feel for somethings to help me be ready for the class. The gluten-free flour experiment I wanted to do because of some of the research I'd done about the different flours you can use and how gluten affects the flakiness of your pie. I learned that gluten-free pie crust is gross tasting and has almost no structure. So some gluten is necessary for having a flaky crust; I'm going to stick to ap flour. I know there are some gluten-free recipes out there, but I imagine they are somewhat different to compensate for the lack of gluten and flavor.
My finally test was Ryan's favorite. The night before my class, I made 4 mini-pies. I made them just how we would be in the class. I decorate them a little and coated them with cream and sugar. I then baked two at 350F and then two at 425F. The higher temperature was better and the pies successfully baked within a half an hour, which is how fast they needed to bake for the class. Ryan really like the look of these ones, and we enjoyed us some pie before going to bed that night. :)

No comments: