Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Air Force Coins

When our family was getting ready for our trip to Nebraska to see Mark and Kris, we were talking and decided we wanted to give Mark something to congratulate him at his change of command ceremony. Ryan had the idea to coin him, like they do in the Air-force. So, I came up with some sketches of how the coins could look and Ryan used his lathe to carve out a coin. We decided we would also make one for Kris for her birthday gift.
Ryan's coins turned out really nice. After Ryan and I decided on what the coin should say, I drew it out on the wooden coins. Ryan then had the work of slowly, carefully burning the words and pictures onto the coins. When he was done I thought they looked great! He did a really good job. For the final touch, I sprayed them with some shellac.
When we were in Omaha, the Offutt Air Force Base held a very nice change of command ceremony. Afterwords, Ryan went and gave Col. Anderson a handshake with the coin in his palm. I think Mark was very pleased and surprised to receive it, even though it's not so shiny and prestigious as the ones he's used to getting. :) We also gave Kris hers, as an early birthday gift, before leaving Nebraska. We hope they enjoy them and are reminded of our love for them (and how happy we are that they moved closer) whenever they look at them!

No comments: